Friday, July 17, 2015

Writing prompt day 3

Okay, I'm back! Today's writing prompt is: Back to school! (Ugh, don't remind me!!!!! I only have about a month and a half left to myself!!!) Anyway, here we go!

Kayla
My alarm clock blares, interrupting the soothing silence of my slumber. I groan, slapping the off button on the dreaded machine. The first day of school. It was always a day that I had dreaded. So much stress, and things to worry about. What should I wear? Who should I sit with at lunch? What if none of my friends are in any of my classes? What if I make a fool of myself? What if I trip in the lunch room and spill my lunch all over myself... again?
I stare at my closet for a good half hour before finally choosing something to wear, changing out of my faded T-Shirt and sweat pants. I run a brush through my tangled mess of hair frantically, Attempting to tame it down to an acceptable shape. Finally too frustrated to do anything with my hair, I pull it up into a messy bun, letting strands of my brown hair fall. I check the time on my phone.
"Crap." I whisper to myself, running out the door. I had to be at school in 5 minutes.
"Carter!" I yell my brother's name as I swing my backpack over my shoulder. There was no response at first.
"CARTER!" I yell again. I run to his room in a frustrated rush. He was laying in his bed with crappy earbuds in... seriously, I could hear his death metal rock from outside his door.  He was playing air drums in the air above his head. His floor was covered with scattered soda cans, and chip bags. I pull his left earbud out violently.
"Kayla, what the heck!?!?" He demands, standing to his feet.
"You're supposed to be my ride to school today, remember? Mom and dad are both at work this morning!" I remind him. He gives me a death stare, which I perceived as meaning "Seriously, you interrupted my emo music for this?" He let out an annoyed sigh.
"Can't you just walk?" He grunts, flopping back into bed.
"I have to be at school in 3 minutes, Carter!" I tell him. He rolls his eyes and sits back up.
"Well, I'm busy! My girlfriend's coming around any minute, and I don't want her to think that I'm ditching her for my baby sister's first day of school." He says as if I'm an embarrassment to him. I roll my eyes.
"Fine." I hiss. "I'll ask Chris's sister to give me a ride." I ring up Chris's number, pressing the phone to my ear.
"Tell Cassie I say hi!" I yell at Carter as I run down the stairs.
"Actually, it's Gen now! Cassie broke up with me yesterday." He yells back in response. I roll my eyes in disappointment.
Chris picked up after 4 rings.
"Hey." He responds.
"Hey! Have you left for school yet?" I ask.
"No, I was just about to. Why? Carter again?" He asks. I laugh in response to how well he knew me.
"Yeah. Could you give me a ride?" I request. He chuckles softly.
"Sure thing. Be there in a minute." He responds without hesitation. I grin.
"Thanks, Chris. What would I do without you?" I ask, relief in my voice.
"I ask myself that about you all the time. You're a mess, Kayla. Seriously." He jokes. "See ya soon." He adds before hanging up.

"When you're different, when you're special... Sometimes you have to get used to being alone."
Kurt Hummel
Glee

No comments:

Post a Comment